In order to consider
STUDIES. John Thomas III realizó estudios de Relaciones Internacionales y Castellano en el Morehouse College, y sobre Política Internacional en la Woodrow Wilson School de su país.
BECA. He has been scholarship holder and investigator of the Fulbrigth Commission and made studies on the Peruvian black community for two years, supported by the national movement Francisco the Congo and CEDET.
–¿Qué estudios realizó aquí?
–The Fulbrigth scholarship demands to coordinate here with an organization. I chose CEDET (Center of Ethnic Development). I developed the study in 3 parts: First, formal surveys to afroperuanas institutions. There are 17 ONG: 15 in Lima, two in provinces. Soon me entrevisté with specialists in the subject and leaders. And third, I made observation of the work in factories, seminaries, and lowered to the communities to see people and to request opinions.
–What has found on the presence of the black in the national agenda?
– CEDET is making a study of the political parties, and how it is considered to the afrodescendientes. Only a party, the MNI, mentions the afrodescendiente word in its proposal. No other headress the black subject. Although there are afros militants in the parties, his presence in these organizations does not respond to the necessities of his community.
– But are black representatives in the Congress
– Three, Jose Luis Risco, Martha Moyano and Cecilia Tait, but does not have a base of followers in the black community. Reviewing their projects of law, only Risco and Moyano have presented/displayed between both 3 or 4 laws in favor of the afros. In general, the political parties ignore the subject totally afro.
– And the State does not include in its policies this minority?
– No. The Conapa, today Indepa, was an initiative that only included natives and the black were put in the end. And of the 25 representatives, there was single afro. Now with Indepa also there is a single representative. No department (Ministry) of the State has policies defined for the afroperuanos. They continue being a luck of citizens with trimmed rights.
– The discrimination note?
I do not believe that only it happens in this country, happens at regional level. But note enough. I have gone to Miraflores, likes I (Coffee) the Starbucks. Until now the only black that I have seen there, he is the one that takes care of. A day which I went here to the own Fulbrigth commission, one of the guards, asked to me until twice who was, until they